Learn how long rice pudding last in the fridge and enjoy it fresh or chilled as a decadent dessert or a breakfast treat by making and storing it properly.
Rice pudding is a type of food that can be prepared in a variety of ways.
It can be made with either short- or long-grain rice, water, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and a number of other ingredients.
The most common way to make rice pudding is by cooking the rice in milk and sugar until it is soft.
This dish can be served cold or hot and can be enjoyed as a dessert or breakfast.
In this article, we will look at how long does rice pudding last in the fridge.
You may also like: How Long Does Steamed Rice Last In The Fridge? 4 Or 7 Days?
How Long Does Rice Pudding Last In The Fridge?
You might have cooked a large batch and want to know how long cooked rice pudding lasts in the refrigerator.
The simple answer is five to seven days if kept in an airtight container. That’s how long homemade rice pudding will last in the fridge.
Some people also cover the surface of the pudding with a cling film to prevent thick skin from forming on top.
Personally, on rainy days, I like to have a bowl of rice pudding at room temperature.
But the question is how long does rice pudding last outside the fridge?
Well, unrefrigerated rice pudding can be kept on the counter for a maximum of three hours. It should be even less – between one and two hours – in warmer climates.
We don’t want to leave the rice pudding out for longer than that as it poses a health hazard.
Bacteria can form on moist and warm pudding and cause food poisoning if consumed.
Setting Time And Hacks to Thicken Or Thin Out Rice Pudding
If you are wondering how long rice pudding takes to set in the fridge, it will take about 50 minutes to set completely.
What will you do if the consistency seems too thick?
Just add a few teaspoons of milk or whipped cream to get creamy rice pudding.
On the other hand, if the rice pudding is too runny, make a mixture of 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and some water or milk.
Add this mixture while the rice pudding is still on the stove and stir.
Alternatively, you can add more rice grains to the milk so that the starch from the rice is released to thicken the pudding.
Is There Any Difference Between The Shelf Life Of Homemade Vs Store-Bought Pudding?
If you have got store-bought pudding and wondering how long is rice pudding good after opening, the answer is three to five days at max, provided it was stored in the fridge at 35°F – 40°F (1.6°C – 4.4°C).
As soon as you open the package, put all the content in an airtight container and refrigerate immediately.
But sealed and store-bought pudding is edible after 6 months of the best by date.
Store-bought pudding has a longer shelf life because it consists of preservatives like palm oil.
High-end technology is used to seal the pudding cups to prevent air, moisture, or other contaminants from coming in contact.
You can even store leftover pudding from the store in a cool place in the pantry, unlike homemade pudding which uses fresh ingredients and needs to be cooled and refrigerated within three hours of cooking.
However, if you break the seal of store-bought pudding and it smells off or appears lumpy, throw it out immediately.
Besides the ingredients, store-bought pudding also differs in taste when compared to homemade pudding.
Commercial puddings have an artificial smell while the one you make at home smells wholesome and healthy.
Steps To Store Rice Pudding In The Fridge
If you have made a fairly large batch, then it’s best to portion them out and refrigerate the leftover rice pudding in individual containers.
These steps below will guide you to store rice pudding in the fridge.
- Rice pudding should be allowed to reach room temperature. To release heat and steam as it cools, you may either spread it out on a plate or baking sheet on a tray or simply give it a stir every few minutes.
- Once the rice pudding is at room temperature, you may either split it out into numerous smaller serving-size containers or put it all in one big airtight container.
- In order to completely cover the leftover rice pudding, add a small piece of plastic wrap on top and gently press it down. This will keep the pudding fresh without any skin on top of it.
- Put a little piece of masking tape on the lid of each container after sealing it.
- Put them in the refrigerator after writing the date and contents on the lid.
- Within 5-7 days, enjoy your rice pudding. It can be heated up on the stovetop or in the microwave or eaten cold.
Can You Freeze Rice Pudding? How?
Yes, you can totally freeze rice pudding. Freezing rice pudding would allow it to last up to three months if done correctly. Here’s how.
- Let the rice pudding completely cool. Before beginning the freezing process, you could even leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Rice pudding leftovers should be divided into portions that you or your family may comfortably consume in one or two meals.
- Put your rice pudding servings in freezer bags or airtight containers.
- Before sealing the freezer bag, gently squeeze all the air out. Freezer burn can result from any air in the bag, spoiling the texture of the pudding and making it runny. To allow for expansion, don’t fill it all the way up with the pudding.
- If you are freezing the rice pudding in an airtight container, place a piece of plastic wrap on top of the rice pudding to prevent freezer burn caused by air. To allow for expansion, be sure to leave an inch of space at the top.
- Grab a permanent marker and some masking tape. Place the tape on your freezer bag or container and write the date.
- Enjoy within three months of putting the containers in the freezer as that’s how long frozen rice pudding lasts.
Tips To Defrost And Enjoy Rice Pudding
It’s not recommended to defrost and reheat frozen rice pudding more than once.
Such practice not only ruins the texture and nutritional value of food but also creates the condition for bacteria to develop in the food.
- Thaw the frozen rice pudding in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Frozen rice pudding separates in the freezer so stir well after it’s thawed.
- Reheat on the stovetop over low flame. Add one or teaspoons of milk if desired.
- If you’re reheating in the microwave oven, add a bowl of water to prevent the rice pudding from drying out.
- Don’t let the rice pudding thaw at room temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Add a teaspoon of milk or cream to get a rich consistency after thawing. You can also choose coconut milk.
- Top the rice pudding with seeds, nuts, and dried fruits for a healthy breakfast.
Can I Use Leftover Rice To Make Pudding?
Sure! The recipe will need to be slightly modified, but it’s really rather easy!
You will need less milk because your rice has already been cooked.
Use 2 cups of whole milk or 1 cup of whole milk and 1 cup of half & half.
Leave the rest of the ingredients unchanged.
You need to cook it for 20 minutes at a low simmer to get a simple and creamy rice pudding.
How To Tell If Rice Pudding Has Gone Bad
You can tell if the rice pudding has gone bad by its smell, appearance, and taste.
A sour smell will indicate it’s not edible anymore.
If the appearance is watery with a dull color, it has surely gone bad.
If the rice pudding tastes bitter or sour, you should throw it away.
For store-bought puddings, check the expiration date by which you should have consumed them.
There are many different pudding variations that you can make with rice or bread to make it savory or sweet..
01 Savory Pudding Variations
Rice porridge or congee is a favorite breakfast dish in China and one of the many breakfast items made without eggs.
If you’ve made it and are now thinking about how long rice porridge lasts in the fridge, it’s five days if kept in a sealed container.
Then there are meat puddings that are a meal by themselves like white or black pudding that’s made with meat, blood, oatmeal, and animal fats.
While white pudding lasts for seven days in the fridge, the black pudding will last for about eleven days.
02 Sweet Pudding Variations
Did you know that the small pearls or boba that are taking the world of sweet tea beverages by storm are also used to make pudding?
Tapioca pearls are used to make a pudding using milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
In case you want to know how long does tapioca pudding last in the fridge, it’s about five days.
Other milk-based sweet puddings include chocolate pudding, vanilla pudding, banana pudding, and pudding pie.
Chocolate pudding made at home will last for five to seven days in the fridge.
Vanilla pudding will last for about a week in the refrigerator.
Banana pudding will keep for three to four days in the fridge due to the fact that it contains fresh banana slices that spoil more quickly.
A pudding pie is a pudding that sits in a dough crust. It’s typically made of homemade chocolate pudding with various toppings on the pie – whipped cream, fresh fruits, chocolate shavings, and so on.
Because the moisture from the pudding seeps into the pie crust, it tends to fall apart faster.
That’s why a pudding pie lasts in the fridge for two to three days and is best consumed fresh.
Bread pudding is something that you can make with milk, eggs, dried fruit, and sugar. It can also take on a savory taste if you use bacon bits and suet.
Refrigerated bread pudding lasts for five to seven days.
A seasonal favorite is the Christmas pudding that contains dried fruit. Without alcohol, Christmas pudding lasts in the fridge for nine days.
If you soak Christmas pudding in brandy, you can keep it for two years outside the fridge. You need to wrap it well and keep it in a cool, dry place in the pantry.
Pudding is a versatile dish that can be sweet or savory, meat-based or dairy-based.
With so many variations all over the world, it’s no surprise that one of the most popular African dishes includes a special kind of pudding.
But when you’re looking for comfort food, nothing beats a bowl of rice pudding sprinkled with cinnamon and the sweet smell of vanilla.
How Long Does Rice Pudding Last?
Rice pudding made at home lasts for up to seven days in the fridge and for up to 3 months in the freezer.
Store-bought rice pudding after opening lasts in the fridge for three to five days.
Can You Refrigerate Rice Pudding?
Yes, you can refrigerate rice pudding after it has cooled down after cooking and stored in an airtight container.
How Long Can I Store Homemade Rice Pudding?
You can store homemade rice pudding in the fridge for up to seven days.
How Long Is Pudding Good For In The Fridge?
Chocolate pudding made at home will keep in the fridge for five to seven days.
Refrigerated vanilla pudding will last for a week.
Banana pudding will keep good in the fridge for three to four days.