LG refrigerators have some of the best built-in ice makers in the industry. Despite being such good quality, you might find yourself pushing the ice button again and again only to find no ice whatsoever!
The first reaction we have to this is panic. We think there must be something wrong with the hardware.
Although there could be many reasons behind this LG refrigerator ice maker troubleshooting, sometimes a simple reset can fix the issue. In this article we will find out how to reset LG refrigerator ice maker the easy way.
“Why Did My Ice Maker Stop Working?”
If your LG ice maker is not dispensing ice, you don’t have to worry too much. This is a very common problem that can happen for a wide variety of reasons.
Resetting your ice maker would mean bringing its features to factory default mode. When you can’t figure out the reason behind your LG refrigerator not making enough ice, there is no other option but to reset it.
Here are some of the most common problems people face while using their ice maker:
Problem 1: No Ice
Ice makers not making ice is a very common problem. When you install an ice machine for the first time, it takes around 24-30 hours for it to reach the accurate temperature.
When the temperature is below 4°f, the water will start to turn into ice. So be patient with it.
Problem 2: Not Enough Ice
Your LG refrigerator not making enough ice can be related to the first problem we have mentioned. If you don’t let the ice maker sit for an adequate amount of time, you will end up with a very small amount of ice.
If you live in a busy household where everyone constantly opens the refrigerator, the temperature won’t be able to reach the adequate point. It will take twice as long to make one batch of ice.
LG refrigerators don’t have this issue though. They have an Ice Plus or Express Freeze feature. This helps to retain the cold temperature inside the ice maker.
Problem 3: Ice Not Dispensing
If your ice maker is making ice but not dispensing it, it can be an issue of the position of your fridge. Sometimes, the wrong position of your refrigerator can cause the ice maker troubleshoot.
LG ice maker not dispensing ice can also be an issue of the heating element. When you try to dispense ice, the heating elements warm up the tube to allow ice to dump. If it is broken, the chute would be clogged or too frosty.
Problem 4: Strange Odor/Smell
If the LG bottom freezer ice maker is not working, and smelling strange, it is for a lack of hygiene.
If you don’t clean your ice maker on a regular basis, funky, smelly, yellowish ice is going to be a constant problem in your life. The only way to solve this issue is to clean your ice maker at least twice a year.
If you live in a place with hard water, you will be needing to clean your ice maker more frequently. Hard water creates buildups which can lead to bacteria and even clogging.
Problem 5: Dispenses the Wrong Kind of Ice
Sometimes when there is something wrong with the chute, the water pressure level changes and it ends up dispensing the wrong type of ice. If you ask for a cube, it may appear crushed.
Usually this happens when the chute is clogged by something. To solve this problem, you have to clean your ice maker regularly. So if your LG french door refrigerator ice maker is not dumping ice, maybe you need to see whether it’s clogged or not.
If Your LG Refrigerator Ice Maker Stops the Water Supply
There can be several reasons behind your LG ice maker not working. We are going to point out five key reasons that can be behind this particular problem:
Reason 1: Water Filter Issues
If the ice maker fails to fill up with water, chances are it is a filter issue. Oftentimes, we install the filter in the wrong way which results in irregular water flow to the ice maker.
If you recently removed your water filter to change or clean, you probably didn’t reset it properly. After cleaning the filter, water will flow better and faster.
Your ice maker might not be used to this new change, thus it will start to leak. Make sure to check the filter for this kind of problem.
Reason 2: Failure of Inlet Valve
Use a multimeter to check the inlet valve. If the valve fails for some reason, the water supply will stop abruptly. Check both the secondary and main valve to find what’s causing this problem.
Usually the secondary valve is more responsible for the performance of the ice maker. So take better look at that one.
Reason 3: Kinked Water Hose
This might seem too simple but trust us, it happens too often. So we had to mention this one.
Check behind your refrigerator for the water hose that’s connected to the inlet valve. If the water hose is kinked, or being pressed by something heavy, it’s going to stop the water reaching the ice maker.
Reason 4: Motor Failure
If you try to run a diagnostic test and it fails to provide it, chances are the motor of your ice maker has failed. You will be needing someone to replace the motor with a new one. Check the warranty in case there is still time to fix it through the manufacturer.
How to Reset LG Ice Maker
Resetting your LG refrigerator ice maker is very simple to do. Here’s how to reset LG refrigerator ice maker:
- First locate the on/off switch of your refrigerator. It usually is on the left side of the unit.
- Press the ice on the icon and run a cycle. If the cycle does not start, you need to remove the bin.
- Replace the bin and turn off the breaker for 30 seconds.
- Turn the unit back on and let it sit for 6-8 hours before it starts to produce ice.
That’s it. Resetting your LG ice maker is that simple. If the ice maker does not produce ice after 8 hours, the problem might be in the hardware. In that case, you will be needing to replace the part.
How to Maintain LG Ice Maker
- Clean and sanitize your ice maker on a regular basis.
- Change or clean the water filters more. Having water can cause them to get clogged.
- Check the inlet water valve from time to time.
- Clean the condenser fan blades. Don’t let oil, grimes or dirt damage their system.
- Check for corrosion and leakage.
- Always clean the outside of the wice maker with a soft washcloth.
Keep in mind, the point of all these steps is to make sure you know about the problem before it’s too late.
Finding why LG ice maker not working at the beginning of the problem can cost way less than when something severely damaging occurs as a result of long time negligence. So doing a thorough inspection from time to time is needed.
How to Clean LG Ice Maker
- Unplug the refrigerator first. We don’t want to be electrocuted in the process, do we? You don’t have to worry about the food inside as cleaning up your ice maker takes very little amount of time.
- Clean your ice cube bin. This is very important as it gets a lot of build ups overtime.
- If the ice cube tray or bin is made out of plastic material, hand wash them. Dishwasher might be too abrasive for them.
- If they are too dirty or have yellowish hue to them, sink them in a bowl filled with water. Add a few tablespoons of baking soda to that. Let them sit for 30 minutes before you give them a thorough scrub.
- Remove all the ice from the ice maker. Use warm water to lightly dislodge them. Do not use any sharp object to scrub off the ice. This will seriously damage the unit.
- Use a washcloth with soapy water to wipe the interior of the ice maker. You can use lemon, vinegar or baking soda for that.
- Use a scrubbing brush or toothbrush to thoroughly clean it. Then use a dry cloth to wipe it all away.
- Check the filter in case it needs cleaning or replacing.
- After you’re done with all these, run a few cycles on the ice maker. Don’t use these ice cubes for anything. They might have residue from the cleaning products.
So there you go, resetting your ice maker has never been easier! We tried to add all the necessary points you need to keep in mind for a seamless experience. Now you know how to reset the LG refrigerator ice maker.
Ice making takes time. So after you are done with resetting, be patient and let it do its thing. As the summer is on its way, you really have to take good care of your ice maker!
More Related Tips: