The indicator light on your Mr. Coffee is there to tell you when you should clean it properly. So if it keeps on blinking and you can’t turn it off, it’s time to listen to your favorite machine and give it the well-needed maintenance.
Of course, there can be many reasons behind this blinking. It can definitely be a technical error. But for most of the time, all you have to do is clean it!
If your coffee machine does not turn off the light even after following our cleaning steps, we have some more tips on how to turn off its flashing light. Keep on reading to know how to turn off the flashing clean light on Mr. Coffee!
Why Mr. Coffee’s Indicator Light is Troubleshooting
If your Mr. Coffee indicator light keeps blinking nonstop, maybe it’s time to actually clean it thoroughly. There can be several reasons why Mr. Coffee clean light stays on all the time. Some of the most probable ones would be:
- You forgot to clean the coffee maker properly.
- You did not follow the user manual to use the coffee machine.
- You did not wait for the cycle to complete before unplugging. This one we all are guilty of at least once.
Before we get into the details of how to fix this issue, let’s start with the basics and talk about our top ways to clean your Mr. Coffee easily!
How to Clean Mr. Coffee Coffee Maker
Cleaning your Mr. Coffee is relatively easier than any other coffee maker. We often forget to clean our kitchen devices. So having a cleaning indicator light on this coffee maker really helps us to be aware of when it’s time to do so.
With our busy lifestyle, we hardly keep track of the last time we actually took care of our coffee maker. So when you see that light go on, grab your cleaning supply and get ready!
You Will Need:
- Baking soda
- Liquid dish soap
Here are our easy steps for cleaning Mr. Coffee:
Unplug the Machine:
This is the first thing you have to do. Before you do any type of exterior or deep cleaning, always unplug your devices.
Wherever there is water and electricity involved, you run into the risk of electrocution. So be careful of that.
After unplugging, let the machine cool down for a few minutes. Now it’s time for the next step.
Empty the Filter:
Remove the water reservoir and filter. This is the part where you should remove all the leftover coffee from the carafe as well. Then, use a clean sponge and dish soap to gently wash the filter.
You will notice a lot of dark color water coming out of the carafe and filter. These are actually the buildups of coffee.
Don’t be too harsh as it can damage the filter. Replace it when you are done with the cleaning.
Grab Your Cleaning Supply:
Now it’s time to deep clean your coffee maker. For that, you can use a few different things. Some people really like using vinegar to remove hard water buildups. We personally do not like that.
Vinegar has a very intense, lingering smell that does not want to go away even after a few brews. End up with vinegar flavored coffee for the rest of the week, and who wants that?
Instead of vinegar, use lemon juice or baking soda.
They are mild abrasive ingredients that remove all the grimes without actually damaging the machine in any way.
Apply two tablespoons of baking soda into your carafe. Then add water to it. You can use a measuring cup for the lemon juice. Add an equal ratio of lemon juice and water.
Put on a new filter and put your carafe in the warming tray. You will notice there is a button for cleaning in Mr. Coffee. Press that button and wait for it to light up.
At this point, the machines should start the cleaning process. The overall process takes around an hour to complete. You can get on with your day while it is self-cleaning itself!
Rinse and Repeat:
After an hour, you will notice the water is totally dark and dirty. You can rinse the carafe and filter again. If the water is too dirty or you have never washed your Mr. Coffee before, we recommend deep cleansing it one more time.
When it’s all done, start brewing using only clean water. Do this for a few cycles until your Mr. Coffee feels squeaky clean!
Why Clean Mr. Coffee Regularly?
Any type of coffee machine needs regular cleaning to maintain its performance and quality over time. If you are lazy about the maintenance of your Mr. Coffee, you will face quite a few issues.
Some of the reasons why you should regularly clean includes:
- Bacteria and Germs: Your coffee machine is actually a heaven for bacteria. It is warm, dark, and damp. Bacteria culture grows faster in an environment like this.
The grimes also work as food for the bacteria. So if you don’t clean your machine regularly, you will be consuming them with each cup of coffee.
- Hard Water Build-up: Most of us use regular tap water to make our coffee. The problem is, our tap water is hard water, and it contains many chemicals.
These chemicals overtime cause buildups. If you don’t clean your coffee machine properly, they can clog and cause leakage.
- Durability: Not cleaning your Mr. Coffee can downgrade its performance and overall longevity. It won’t last nearly as long and you will end up with a damaged unit.
- Health Concerns: Coffee has oil infused in them, when you brew, the oil gets out and spreads inside the machine. Over time they turn into grimes that collect dust and dirt. For that reason, cleaning them is necessary for your good health.
How to Turn Off the Flashing Clean Light on Mr. Coffee
After cleaning your Mr. Coffee coffee machine, the light would automatically turn off. If that did not happen for some reason, or Mr. Coffee light is on but not brewing, try to use these simple tricks:
- Turn the coffeemaker off for a few minutes and turn it back on. Then adjust the time of the coffee machine. The light will turn off after this.
- Clean the lid and the exterior of the coffee maker using a soft damp sponge. Do it carefully after unplugging the machine.
- We often make the mistake of plugging the machine back on immediately after cleaning. You should not do this. This will result in Mr. Coffee clean light flashing.
Let the machine rest for an hour and then turn it back on. This will stop the blinking indicator light.
Always follow the Mr. Coffee cleaning instructions mentioned in the User Manual:
- Never stop the cleaning cycle in the middle of the process.
- Do not unplug or reset the machine until it is fully cleaned. Never interrupt the cycle.
- If something happens and you have to stop the cleaning cycle mid-way, start all over again after a small break.
- Always unplug the coffee maker before you open it to clean the carafe and filter.
Daily Maintenance of Your Mr. Coffee
Deep cleaning as we have mentioned should happen once every month, that doesn’t mean you don’t have to take care of it in between.
Ideally, you should clean your coffee machine after each use. We don’t mean anything too thoroughly. Just clean the carafe with regular tap water and dishwashing liquid.
Just a basic rinse is great as coffee can stain the container. It takes only 5 minutes to do so..
What We Have to Say
Taking good care of your gadgets prolongs their life cycle and provides a seamless experience. We use our coffee machine on a daily basis, which is why it is important that we clean it every day.
Regular cleaning ensures that Mr. Coffee cleaning lights won’t keep flashing or troubleshooting. The solution is quite simple, isn’t it?